Skip to main content

Do you still read comics?

I've often met with derisive sighs when they find me reading a graphic novel. It can be credited to the fact that in India graphic novels are not generally excepted as a literary piece or even a piece of art for that matter; but the bigger reason is the lack of knowledge about what goes behind the conjuring of a good graphic novel.

Let me not use a fancy term as Graphic Novel. Let me just call it a comic book.

So, what's not to like in a good comic book? The artwork is amazing, the literary material top-notch, the story a thoughtful experience! So, why is it that generally it's labelled to be read only by kids? Why not adults? I attribute it to the perception that adults (as opposed to children) know better. I believe as we grow we start compartmentalizing our experiences - these are childish, these are immoral, these are stupid, these are bad, these are good; all categorized in that invisible shelf inside our head. It's not our fault; it is because of the regular conditioning that we go through our lifetime.

The adult categorization puts a comic book in Childish section while a novel in Mature section. Therein lies the big problem. I agree that there are comic books especially made for kids. But lets not get there! I'm talking about literary-rich and art-abundant books like V FOR VENDETTA and SIN CITY.

Below are the pages from V FOR VENDETTA and SIN CITY.

 

The stories are written by brilliant writers, and the penciling, inking, colouring and paneling done by bright artists. Every panel, every page is rich with art and literary content adding up to a wonderful story. Lately, digital media has taken over the production on a graphic novel, which are magnificent in all aspect. Yet there is something about drawings made in traditional methods that still appeals me. There is a lot of thought, priceless conversations that hold no record other than scribbling and sketches in notebooks, character-building, witty and appropriate dialogues, appealing snapshot panels, and loads of sleepless nights that goes behind the beginning of a graphic novel.

The birth of telling story using pictures dates back to ages when man lived in a cave. Thereafter stories were told using hieroglyphs in Egypt, carvings in Aztec and Mayan civilization, and all parts of world.

Recently, I got a chance to get my hands upon a few amazing graphic novels - V FOR VENDETTA written by inexplicably excellent writer, Alan Moore, the dark and brilliant BATMAN - THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS by Frank Miller, who is also the writer of SIN CITY and 300 (yes, 300 was a graphic novel before it came out to be a movie), the surreal artwork filled ARKHAM ASYLUM: A SERIOUS HOUSE ON SERIOUS EARTH by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean

Below are pages from BATMAN - THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNSARKHAM ASYLUM: A SERIOUS HOUSE ON SERIOUS EARTH, and 300



























































It was very enjoyable and overwhelming to see such good art in the form of story. There is a lot of graphic novels that I've listed to read further. Just gearing up!

I hope you find it in you to bring yourself to at least glance into the colourful, and sometimes bleak and gritty world of graphic novels, because I believe that they are one of the most essential media where art meets literature.


~ RN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little something about my upcoming painting - 'Mi Guernica'

During my contextual studies in art, the one painting that stayed back on my mind even after the lectures got over is Guernica  by Pablo Picasso. An anti-war statement, it portrayed in abstract form the tragedies and horrors war inflicts upon innocent civilians, and to this date it holds a monumental status among the masterpieces depicting war and its aftermath. It was hard to not get engulfed by the painting's grandness. And, thus started my own rendition of Guernica. Even as our nation reels back from severe blows of corruption, war, terrorism, domestic violence, rape, it's equally dismaying to see that nothing majorly happens to prevent them. There is an uproar, then debates, then discussions, then mentioning, then whispers, and then people forget and move on. I'm no saint either, for I have my share of drawbacks. But,  I believe there is a great deal of power in a piece of art to change the course of history.  I remember a quote by Picasso I recently read. He said

Drawing from Life

I was only awkward until the robe came down; once it was down I was bare and felt liberated. In my head, it all sounded poetic, like there were gongs of freedom chiming in the background. But when I took a quick look at the faces around me, it brought me back to think how normal it actually is to pose nude for drawing. All artists in their own rights, going about drawing me like they would draw any other model, learning and practicing how the light played on the contours of my body. Not to say that the sense of liberation I felt was not legitimate.  It all boils down to the aspect of where I come from. If and when my parents or the extended family back in India comes to know that I pose nude, I wouldn't know how they would react. They maybe okay with it or taken aback by the very act. It wouldn't change my view or decision in any way, but still I just indulged in these thoughts, like trying to interview myself in my head. I recently came across this article from a few

Van Gogh's lust for life

I had the pleasure of watching the movie, Lust for Life , recently. Vincent Van Gogh's life rolls in front of our eyes with crisp colours and sharp chiaroscuro  all around. I was just amazed that the filmmakers actually managed to bring out the characteristics of Van Gogh's painting into the movie itself, and this was back in 1956. The entire movie is weighed on the dialogues that flow quite poetically, and Kirk Douglas's Vincent Van Gogh, Anthony Quinn's Paul Gauguin, and James Donald's Theo Van Gogh are apt and convincing in their roles. The warmth and love between the brothers, Vincent Van Gogh and Theo Van Gogh, the conversations and conflicts between Vincent Van Gogh and all other real-life  characters (Paul Gauguin in particular), the narration of the letters from Vincent to Theo in the background, the representation of Van Gogh's real paintings and more, everything adds to a delightful experience.  Paul Gauguin's sarcasm and qu